– When I look at Sweden’s bid, there are several major strengths for Stockholm. Among them is Sweden’s leadership in sustainability.
This comes from the Green Party’s previous spokeswoman and current environmental and sustainability consultant, Maria Wetterstrand, who made a detailed analysis of the Stockholm Åre 2026 bid.
The Stockholm Chamber of Commerce hosted an Olympic seminar focusing on sustainability last week.
Among the speakers were the politicians Anna König Jerlmyr, the City Council of the City of Stockholm (M) and Karin Wanngård, the Stockholm City Council (S).
Maria Wetterstrand held the floor the longest.
She had been commissioned to look at how a Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Sweden in 2026 could be used as a driving force in Stockholm’s sustainability efforts.
– When I look at Sweden’s bid, there are several major strengths for Stockholm. Among them is sustainability, where Sweden is already a world leader, Wetterstrand said.
Wetterstrand highlights several strengths in Sweden’s bid to host the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in 2026. Among them are Sweden’s leading work in sustainability, the use existing arenas and the core value of having a positive impact on the global sustainability goals.
– Stockholm Åre 2026 strives to have a positive impact on all 17 global sustainability goals. Given the opportunity, Sweden can lead these efforts and prove that we can achieve these goals in a meaningful way.
Wetterstrand believes that, with Sweden’s position as world leader in sustainability, the 2026 bid can serve as an example for future organizers of the Olympic Games.
– Sweden is already a world leader in sustainability. We are laying the foundations for the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Sweden to become a model for upcoming events in the future. This can really lead to excellence in the field of sustainability, as we have a better starting point, says Wetterstrand.
There are also several positive assets to Sweden’s bid, says Wetterstrand who highlights the following points:
Attractiveness – The Games must be attractive for the people. It will also contribute to showing the attractivity of Stockholm.
Community Building – Sweden is a world leader in the field of building sustainability communities. Let this be visualized clearly in the process towards the 2026 Winter Games.
Social inclusion – Use the process towards 2026 to help break segregation and exclusion. A project like Olympics/Paralympics can contribute to break down both physical and mental barriers between different parts of the society and between individuals.
Collaboration – Engaging actors from both inside and outside the sports movement increases the possibility to create positive legacies.
On June 24 in Lausanne, the final decision will be made as to whether Sweden or Italy will have the honor of hosting the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in 2026.
Sweden’s host cities are Stockholm, Åre and Falun, while the bid is simultaneously working with Latvia and the city of Sigulda for the sliding sports. And while a lot of the focus is on Stockholm, Wetterstrand believes that it is important to remember that this will be the whole of Sweden’s celebration.
– I would like to remind everyone that while the majority of the analysis is focused on Stockholm, it is not just about our capital. Falun and Åre are also host cities, and as such, it is important to ensure that this project is perceived for what it is — the whole of Sweden’s Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.